In my experience people either love or hate morning exercise. As a night owl, I tend to fall into the latter category.
That said, I recently took a 9:30 am Yoga Class because it was the best fit for my schedule. I was expecting to drag through the rest of the day but to my surprise, afterward I felt invigorated and ready to take on anything. Also, I could tell my metabolism had been put into overdrive. That was when I decided to consider the advantages of a morning yoga practice.
There are many benefits, these are a few that impressed me the most:
1. Setting an intention at the beginning of your morning yoga practice sets a tone for the day. Not only have you put your intent into words, you have all day to continue visualizing it.
2. Did you know that we wake up with elevated cortisol (stress) levels? You have two choices,,,,either continue to add to your stress (commute, meetings) or reduce your cortisol level through exercise and “start” your day in a less stressed mindset.
3. Wake up the lymphatic and circulation systems with yoga in the morning and you give the immune system an immediate boost that lasts all day. Especially effective for immune boosting are gentle inversions such as legs up the wall.
4. Increasing the metabolism and gently massaging the organs during yoga make the digestive system more efficient at releasing toxins and metabolizing vitamins and minerals all day.
5. Focus, early in the morning, heightens productivity and alertness throughout the day.
Start the day by creating a positive internal environment and the outer environment suddenly seems more positive too!
Spa Eir is now offering yoga classes at 9:30 am and noon Monday – Thursday. Stop in, take a class and let me know how it makes you feel. Maybe you can learn to like morning exercise too!